Thursday, April 21, 2011

With The Beatles



source

I was born in the wrong decade, and grew up in the wrong decade. Have I ever mentioned that before? I like old fashioned things. Music, movies, clothes...I like getting back to the basics. Homemade cleaning products and cloth diapers.

We're going to talk about the music part today.
What's your favorite band? I have a ton. A TON. My favorite? Always the Beatles.

I've been listening to them my entire life. Thanks to my parents (mostly my Dad) they've been in our home forever. The other day some friends were all talking about bands we liked when we were younger, and someone said, "Come on, you can't tell me you listened to Simon and Garfunkel when you were in middle school." Actually yes, yes I did. Along with the Beatles. And all oldies...and all rock from the 60's and 70's and 80's. And ska. and punk.

Don't get me wrong- I like a lot of modern music too. The Shins are in my top ten favorite bands ever for sure, if not THE best band of recent.

But the Beatles will always have a special place in my heart. Especially George. (Remember how I have a Beatles calendar up on my desk at work and some totally awesome new kid asked me "oh, do you like the Beatles?" I say yes. He says "can you name them all?" i didn't respond. worst. question. ever.) I remember when George died. I was in 10th grade and my seminary teacher happened to also be a lover of the Beatles (Brother Child). We mourned together. Anyway, I love anything Beatles related. When we went to London we HAD to go to Abbey Road. It was amazing! I'll never forget it.

Now that I think about it, I wish I had had a Beatles themed wedding. 1960's style. I'll just have to remember that when someone I know gets married who feels the same way I do about the band, and try to convince them to use all of my ideas...

I guess I should be thankful that I live now. I can pick and choose what I like out of all of the past years.

No comments:

Post a Comment